Saturday, December 27, 2008

My Take on MTV Roadies

MTV Roadies is a reality television show which airs on MTV India. The show was created by Raghu Ram and has travel, adventure, drama, touch of voyeurism.

Perhaps Raghu's nickname is Vicious and judging by his 5 years spell with the MTV Roadies it's an appropriate description. The moniker didn't come from his attitude but from the great teeny blooper tradition of nicknames evolving unpredictably - Dude, Vicious. None of them matters to me, but to occasional spring boopers like me, its a healthy sign.

I have been watching this MTV Adventure show, titled MTV Roadies show for the last 5 years. Yes, it makes me quite a senior citizen, which can be pronounced by my LIC Jeevan Policy. I have gone for the Bangalore audition this time, and I don't know if people will believe me, but I just found how focused and determined today's youth are.

Added to the fact that I was pushed by quite a few sovereign females just to come near to the camera. It was funny! not when you remember that a 68 kg fellow has two 100 kg fellas in front of him.

Auditioning for Roadies needs no prior planning. I understand every tom, dick and harry go through the earlier episodes of Roadies, but trust me all this prior planning fails. When you clear the Group Discussion round and sit in front of the two whizkids Raghu and Rajiv, everything goes for a toss.

I think the best strategy is to just be yourself. I think that should be the best strategy to handle the duo. Let me think if I were in that Interview room how would I be myself.Some people may say, "aha! it's an easy to thing to write an article, but when you step into that interview room, its a nut case". I agree to their theory.

But my point is just like MTV Roadies is like more of an bas freaky interview. If you can project what you have to be a roadie, why would you care to project something higher. Take the case of Ahmadabad roadies, Samrat Kaushik. He is a highly confident guy and demonstrated no signs of overconfidence during his interview.

Infact, when Raghu asked him to give them the 9 digit number for the division of 22/7, standing in one leg, Samrat tried to answer that showing no signs of overconfidence.

The next is playing mind games or defeating Raghu in his own game. You see these chaps sitting there are going to scrutinize your life completely, and see if they can pressurize you to lose your balance. The idea is to see how you can survive in trying situations.

So, if I can get into their shoes and try to cause a bit of imbalance, in form of whatever, you survive. Take the case of Delhi's contestant, Neha Kapoor, an air hostess.I love the manner in which she took both the bhai's case is great.

During the course of the interview she retorts and asks them "if you are trying your level best to know me that well, why shouldn't I know of both of you guys". And, if you folks remember, she has been selected for the Hell Down Under largely because she had that attitude. Delhi girls- I wish I had a girlfriend from there, since the Bangalore ones have beaten the hell out of me he he.

Next comes the panga taken during the course of the interview. Firstly, this machoism is deadly but ironically it backfires in most of the cases. Tamanna, a desi born with an angrez accent, took the panga of slapping the bhai's and than for some reasons got scared and backed out.

Post-Interview, Raghu himself said that he himself pushed Tammana to take this step. How true is that, I am not sure? I believe Raghu is no short of gimick.

MTV Roadies looks for interesting characters, and if yes, you can have 'bizzare' character like Poulomi, viewers are for a treat. Poulomi undoubtedly brought so much of colors to the interview panel that she can be a would be fashion designer. of course, she would face a stiff competition from Sonal, last year roadies. By the way, Sonal featured in DASVIDANAI as a secreatary to a director. Who needs knowledge anyway? Shambavi and Anmol have proved it time and again and MTV GTalk is another testimonial for them.

Be resolve. It is clearly demonstrated by the NCR Hills fella Kiri Timung. His confidence and determination is excellent.

Now my questions are, but not limited to, are the MTV Roadies tasks really tests your character? what sets it apart from a Big Boss show? after all you survive there too with enough of back-biting in this show too? what sets Roadies apart? is it because you have lot of youngsters there? I have mixed reviews on it. But I'll like to know what you feel on the same.

No comments: